May 9, 2012

Honeymoons by Tatiana

Hello! Let me start by introducing myself, my name is Tatiana Goerler. I was both born and raised in North Carolina, mostly in Havelock. I’ve also lived in Florida for 3 year but ended up back here, where I call home. My family tells me all the time that I have a little OCD in me, which I would have to say is true. Everything has its place and if its not there it drives me crazy. My husbands name is Michael Goerler, he works as an electrician. We have a 6 year old daughter name Lorelei.
I have always loved watching wedding shows but didn’t know I want to plan weddings till I was in my first year of college.  At that time I thought fashion design was my calling, but not so much anymore. I still love to draw and I’m very good at it, but wedding planning is a better fit for me! I have already done three weddings since working for Promised Hearts and I feel more and more, that I made the right decision.
Now that you know a little about me here’s a fun fact for you!
Honeymooning
Have you even wondered where the practice of honeymooning started? Well stop wondering; here are how two different cultures came up with the term honeymoon!
The first honeymoons were more like kidnappings than blissful getaways. They began with the Norse tradition of men abducting their brides from neighboring villages. Once the man had a woman in his possession, he had to keep her in forced seclusion so her family couldn’t find her and demand her to return to their home. His friends would help ensure they weren’t discovered and would keep the girl’s family away to the best of their abilities. The man would keep the girl hidden until the day her family stopped searching for her, at which point they would reappear and make the marriage official.
A more romantic version can be traced to Old Scadinavian tradition. Folklore says that newly married couples drank a cup of honeyed wine called “mead” everyday for the month following their wedding. The “honey” refers to the mead and the “moon” refers to the length of time the couple drank the mead for after the wedding, hence the term “honeymoon.” This was supposed to give the couple a boost to their fertility.
posted by Tatiana Goerler.

No comments: